Sunday, December 20, 2015

Tribute to Jane Austen

You pierce my soul, I am half agony half hope. ~Jane Austen (Persuasion)

On this day Dec. 16th in 1775 the brilliant
Jane Austen was born. I am a huge fan, and have read every novel (I think) she has written.

Jane Austen was an amazing English writer born at Steventon rectory to a substantial gentry family. She had only 1 sister, but 6 brothers. Both her and her sister never married and both almost died from Typhus.
Jane Austen was said to be very fond of dancing. This of course makes us Kindred Spirits. :) My favorite Jane Austen quotes is
"To be fond of dancing was a certain step towards falling in love" Pride and Prejudice.
Pride-and-Prejudice_BN

My personal favorite Jane Austen novel is
Pride and Prejudice(although Sense and Sensibility is one of
my favorite movies...)
Here is a great list of things you never knew about Pride and Prejudice:
http://article/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-pride-and-prejudice
Jane Austen died in Winchester on the 18th of July 1817, at only 41. The cause of death was somewhat speculative between Addison's disease, Hodgkin's lymphoma, bovine tuberculosis, and/or Brill–Zinsser disease. Persuasion and Northanger Abbey were both published after her death, by her parents Cassandra and Henry.cropped-quotes-banner2
Fun fact: Her works, though usually popular, were first published anonymously and brought her little personal fame and only a few positive reviews during her lifetime, but the publication in 1869 of her nephew's A Memoir of Jane Austen  introduced her to a wider public. Janeite fan culture emerged in the second half of the 2oth century. (This fact was found via Wikipedia.)

I didn't know the last part of this,
about her nephew.
Now I will HAVE to read
this Memoir!!!
 

What is your favorite Jane Austen book and/or movie?
“If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more." 

No comments:

Post a Comment